What causes pain below Adam's apple while swallowing?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello doctor, for about 3 or 4 months now i have had a dull mpain when i swallow right below my XXXXXXX apple. when i sneeze then i swallow the pain is a bit sharper and then goes away. i dont always have pain. i find myself swallowing a lot now consciously just to see if there is any pain and to sometimes clear throat.

i have had people tell me it could be gerd or acid reflux. i am also burping more.

are these symptoms of a tumor? i havent had pain all day and have no pronlems eating
thank you
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
check for infections first . Gerd and Tumor possible but more unlikely here

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query to HCM.

Gastroesophagal reflux diseases or peptic ulcers could present as such.However , such a pain is not classical for these conditions. I'd suggest a proper exam to check for simple infections like streptococci or fungal infections that easy cause such a pain should be checked.

With proper antibiotics, these conditions are easily treatable. Though possible, the likelihood of a Tumor is low here. Other rare conditions that could cause this are megaesophagus or esophagal weakness (achalasia).

Checking out for an infection to me remains the urgent priority.

Kind regards,

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee