What causes pain behind the knee but pain free walk following hyperextension of the knee?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 in Back Pain
Question: Hi, I was going through my stretching routine prior to my morning jog. I have a leg stretching machine in which you sit in the machine and turn a wheel that push your legs apart. Engaging in this exercise I fear I hyperextended my knee. I feel like I pushed my knee beyond its natural range of motion. I have aching behind the back of knee. I can walk basically pain free. Perhaps this is just a knee sprain or could it be something more serious. Thank you in advance for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Mild soft tissue injury likely.

Detailed Answer:

If there is no pain on walking or climbing stairs then any serious damage is not likely.

This can be due to a mild soft tissue injury.

You can avoid any painful activities and use a knee support for a few weeks and let the area heal on its own with rest.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon