• question-icon

What causes pain behind right breast?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I gave been having a pain behind my right breast. Bothers me mostly when I move. also sometimes it's a burning pain. When I walk, I get shortness if breath and is uncomfortable between my breasts and stomach. any ideas? thanks
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Costochondritis as the most probable reason

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/66 - pain behind right breast - bothers on movement - sometimes burning - shortness of breath and uncomfortable between breasts and stomach on walking -

From the short history you have provided this appears to be one or more of the following problems:

- Costochondritis of the ribs behind the right breast, the pain is off and on, causes pain/discomfort, painful movements, shortness of breath due to pain or fear of pain. There can be local tenderness over the inner parts of the ribs and can increase on some specific movements.

- Problems with the lungs and/or pleura (covering of the lungs); inflammation due to any reasons can cause similar symptoms.

I would advise you the following:

Clinical examination by the Doctor to elicit the signs to get the proper diagnosis, investigations as per the tentative diagnosis and a plan for appropriate management.
This includes local examination, to see for tenderness, auscultation of the lungs as you have got shortness of breath, .

I hope this answer helps you to get an early and appropriate diagnosis and a proper management, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 48 minutes later
Thanks. what causes costochondritis? would carrying a purse cause it if it is a little heavy? so this can cause shortness if breath? any remedies? thanks!!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As noted, also get confirmation by your treating Doctor about diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
The exact causes are not yet known.

The possible causes are as follows:

Stress and/or anxiety.
After infections like flu or intestinal infections.
Exertions, exhaustion.
Repeated trauma or strain as you have said, carrying heavy purse.

This can cause shortness of breath due to pain, fear and so on.

I would suggest the following treatment:

-Rest to the area. This will limit the movement, reduce the pain and give rest for healing to occur.
-Anti-inflammatory medicines in full dose as per the weight.
-Steroids if required for its strong anti-inflammatory role.
-Control of stress and anxiety helps a lot.
-Local Rubefacient Liniments if the area is not covered by strapping.

-Confirmation of the diagnosis by local Doctor on palpation and clinical evaluation and to get prescription based medicines after discussing the above points.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 30 minutes later
if I do have costochondritis, you said this would cause burning pain behind breast too? thanks again
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
difficult to explain

Detailed Answer:
If it is costochondritis, burning pain is difficult to explain, but can occur if the sensory nerve is involved in the inflammatory process.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 hours later
if it is costochondritis, would it cause discomfort when walking after eating between breasts and stomach? which is better motrin or meloxican. I have both. Going to try this first. thanks again
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take PPI like Omeprazole also.

Detailed Answer:
Discomfort when walking after eating can be due to costochondritis, but an upper GI Endoscopy is advisable to rule out any problems related to esophagus and stomach.
Between Motrin and Meloxicam: It depends upon two factors.
The first is, which one suits you the better and
secondly which is more effective for you.

It is better to take PPI like Omeprazole or Ranitidine to avoid acidity related issues and also see if it is working for the discomfort you are getting while walking after food.
..
Most welcome.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 52 minutes later
thanks so much for your help. I am thinking it could be costochondritis or muscle problem as it is so sore around my breast when I move. I will use the antiinflammatory for a few days and see if it helps. thanks again
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Please get started with the medication.
Please give feedback.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon