What causes pain behind ears?
I feel pulsed and sharp pain in the back of my ear, the depth of pain location feel 1-3 mm deep. If I thinking, the pain can be worser.
ear infection most probably
The most common cause of ear pain is ear infection.
It usually follows upper respiratory tract infection.
Other common causes are infection of ear canal and TM joint problems.
Please see a doctor to confirm.
Do not worry, take a pain killer like tylenol or ibuprofen afetr checking the dose.
You can also instill decongestant nose drops like otrivin, they help to open the eustachian tubes which in turn help to ventilate the ear and thereby control the infection.
Usually ear infections are viral in nature. If the pain and infection persists for more than 6 days then you may need a course of antibiotics.
Chewing gum also helps to open the tubes.
Sleep in elevated head position by keeping an extar pillow.
Dr Rajkishori Godhi
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause sharp pains behind the ears
- What causes ear pain
- What causes throat and ear pain
- What causes left ear pain
- What causes painful ear lobe
- What causes sudden ear pain
- What is causing the pain behind ear
- What causes severe ear pain
- What is the cause of constant pain in ear
- What is the cause of pain behind ear and eye