question-icon

What causes pain behind ears?

Posted on Wed, 30 Jul 2014
Question: Hi,
I feel pulsed and sharp pain in the back of my ear, the depth of pain location feel 1-3 mm deep. If I thinking, the pain can be worser.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
ear infection most probably

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,

The most common cause of ear pain is ear infection.
It usually follows upper respiratory tract infection.
Other common causes are infection of ear canal and TM joint problems.
Please see a doctor to confirm.
Do not worry, take a pain killer like tylenol or ibuprofen afetr checking the dose.

You can also instill decongestant nose drops like otrivin, they help to open the eustachian tubes which in turn help to ventilate the ear and thereby control the infection.

Usually ear infections are viral in nature. If the pain and infection persists for more than 6 days then you may need a course of antibiotics.

Chewing gum also helps to open the tubes.

Sleep in elevated head position by keeping an extar pillow.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist