What causes pain at the back of the head radiating to the shoulders?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi doc, just want to know what will ve the cause of pain of the back of my ears and something go to my shoulders?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Several possibilities

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Such pain in the back of the head radiating in the shoulders can have several causes.
Most likely possibility would be tension type headache, the most common primary headache (primary meaning without an identifiable cause). Often triggered by stress and anxiety, possibly related to increased tension in head and neck muscles.

Another cause may be arthritis of the neck which may cause pain radiating in the back of the head and shoulders. Unlikely at your age though.

High blood pressure may be another cause, though again unlikely at your age.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 54 minutes later
Hmm..might be im bit over stress and currently under high anxiety, because i keep thinking i might be infected with HIV due to recent encounters when i was oversea a month ago. I have few of the symptoms occur that match with my research. Muscles pain, light headach, vomited twice,itchy body(discovered by blood test high level dust mite allergy),lack of energy, feel tired,weakness on legs sometime, but no temperture or rash since 4 weeks ago, had my blood test for allergy, std and hiv 10 days after last encounter.that could be the reason the whole thing keep me thinking all the time.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:

That dosage of 1g is not very high. However for that weight a lower dosage may be tried, lowest dose to begin with is 10 mg/kg. So since symptoms have started only after Depakote initiation I would try lowering the daily dosage to 500-750 mg.

I also wonder if starting it for one single seizure was indicated (seems to be her first seizure from what you say). Epilepsy is diagnosed only if 2 or more seizures have happened. That is because in many cases a seizure may be an isolated episode related to other factors such as a transitory metabolic alteration. Only if there is a structural anomaly on brain imaging (such as tumor, recent stroke etc) and marked epileptiform abnormalities on EEG would I consider starting treatment after a single seizure.

Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 9 hours later
Hi doctor, i am bit confused with your reply
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My apologies and the correct answer

Detailed Answer:
Oh my apologies.

I use to write my answer on a separate text editor, then copy paste on the site (to avoid losing the text in case of connection failures). I must have not clicked on Copy and as a result an answer to a previous question was pasted instead. Again I am very sorry.

What I had written was that the fact you were worried might certainly have something to do with it. As I said stress and anxiety were among the main triggers for tension type headache.
As for the HIV possibility naturally I can't offer any certain guarantees but I can say those symptoms you mention are not specific, meaning can be found in many different settings and conditions, they are not indicative of HIV. So you should try to relax and continue your normal life. Try to engage in physical exercise and perhaps activities like yoga which are useful to alleviate stress.

I hope to have been of help.