Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

What causes pain around the tail bone area?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I am a 32 year old male I have Tailbone pain left side( Not actual tailbone), like a dull pain. about 3-4 inches below my waste line in the left buttock close to tailbone. The pain is amplified if I have been standing for a long period of time. It is also amplified if I tense up such as using the rest room, its not a world ending pain but more of a dull pain. If I intentionally tense up and then push on the area the pain subsides a bit. I can also feel it more when I intentionally tense up. I do not recall an injury.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could possibly be COCCYDYNIA. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Pain occuring around the tail bone area (coccyx) is termed as coccydynia. Coccydynia is felt as a localized pain and will generally feel worse when sitting or with any activity that puts pressure on the bottom area of the spine. Apart from pain localized around tail bone area, coccydynia may also present with backpain, shooting pain down the legs, pain before or when you pass stools, painful buttocks and hips, pain during sex etc. There are numerous causes for coccydynia. An xray of the involved part (sacrum with coccyx) and an MRI scan will help in identifying the culprit. The general treatment guidelines for this condition includes the following - * Sit completely upright with proper posture — keeping your back firmly against the chair, knees level with your hips, feet flat on the floor and shoulders relaxed * Sitz baths (which involves soaking hips and buttocks in warm water), which helps in providing pain relief * Lean forward while sitting down * Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion * Apply heat or ice to the affected area *Physical therapy involving strengthening of pelvic area muscles , stimulation with ultrasound therapy * Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil) * If no response is found with analgesic medications, then local corticosteroid injections are given to give a substantially long term pain relief, which may last from few weeks to months. I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed workup and further management. Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help further Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor