What causes pain around the navel area?

Posted on Thu, 2 Feb 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had strong pain just at and below the belly button. It has accured for the last 3 nights, last night
At 2:30... the other nights varied...I drank water and waited for relief. ( some small gas resulted first night)
I am hoping it is going to be relieved by a laxitive. So far it only presents while I am in bed in the evening?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get an Ultrasound abdomen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pain due to Appendicitis starts around belly button.You should get an Ultrasound abdomen and rule out appendicitis.
Usually,small intestine is present around belly button.Laxative works on large intestine which is present in the edges of abdominal cavity.So,laxative may not be helpful in your case.
Any other lesions in the Uterus,bladder can be diagnosed with Ultrasound abdomen.
Please consult your doctor, get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
Till investigation, I prescribe anti spasmodic tablet containing Dicyclomine twice daily to my patients with similar complaints.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon