What causes pain around left armpit and heart?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi,

I feel pain around my left armpit and my heart. I had this for several months and the pain would come and go a few times a week. I started working out a few weeks ago and for the last few days I've been having these pains every few hours. Especially at night when I'm trying to sleep on my stomach and there's a slight pressure around my chest. Sometimes I also feel pain down my left arm, a tingling sensation in my left hand and a metallic taste in my mouth. I don't feel tired, nor dizzy. I'm sleeping 8 to 9 hours a night, but during the day I'm dealing with a lot of stress (I'm studying and working full time). I'm 32 years old I am quite worried. Is this something serious ?

Since I started working out, I'm taking Animal Pak vitamins - 1 pack a day with breakfast (http://www.nutricionsport.com/image/universal-animal-pak-etiqu.gif) as well as 5 capsules of BCAA (http://www.canadianprotein.com/bcaa-caps.html).
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Brief answer....doesn't look like a cardiac problem. but still you should be evaluated by a cardiologist.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern very well.
Ideally a heart problem is generally accompanied by some breathlessness,cold sweats,nausea,tightness or squeezing of chest,pain aggravated by physical exertion or under emotional stress etc.
A chest pain which is present for many months without any presence of symptoms as mentioned above or if the pain comes for few seconds and going away,is generally not of heart origin.
In my opinion your problem is due to some stress and anxiety or may be some acidity and gas or may be some muscular spasm of chest muscles.
Although it looks highly unlikely to be a heart problem but you must still be seen by a cardiologist and get properly evaluated and investigated so as to rule out any heart problem.A normal heart would bring lot of peace to you.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks