What causes pain and weakness in upper arm and wrist post injury?

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: i feel and hit my left deltoid last nite. this morning woke up and have weakness and cannot flex my wrist upward. pain in upper arm but not in wrist or hand.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Radial nerve injury most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely radial nerve injury. Spontaneous recovery is possible in most cases.

Over the counter analgesics like Ibuprofen and massage will be helpful. In case pain and discomfort is more then approach an othopedician and in such cases corticosteroid injections, vitamin B12 and antiseizure medications like pregabalin will be helpful.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 26 minutes later
When should I see improvement?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can take 6 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

It can take 6 weeks. Improvement will be gradual. If no such gradual improvement is seen after 1 week approach an orthopedician.

Let me know if anything not clear. I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN