• question-icon

What causes pain and tingling sensation in the shoulders?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been suffering from what I think is a pinched nerve in the neck, and it is unnerving. Last week, the pain what incredibly intense, going from the base of my head (left side) down into my left shoulder. Doctor put some shots in my shoulder, but said that she was uncomfortable putting any shots in my neck without a CT scan. The pain in the shoulder has subsided, but the pain in the back of my head persists...not as intense but it is still there accompanied with tingling sensations. In addition, I feel headachy, fatigued, and have slight nausea with blurred vision. Short of going to the doctor again (or another doctor), is there anything i can do to help this resolve? It is seriously compromising my life. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Analgesics, physiotherapy, CT scan and ENT review needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as you have been suffering from cervical spondylosis and it needs to be confirmed on CT scan. The vertebral column in neck area may have minute structural changes leading to compression on the nerves arising from there and may cause pain in neck, shoulder, back of head or in arms.

The other symptoms like vertigo, or nausea may be sequalae or may be menifestation of another condition called Benign positional vertigo due to some issue related to inner ear and the area related to balance.

It's better to get a detailed evaluation from ENT specialist when convenient, if not possible sooner and meanwhile using analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain may help. If pain is still not controlled, more potent analgesics like tramadol or nerve pain suppressants like gaba pentins or duloxetine or carbamezapine may be needed.

The supplements for B12, D3 and folic acid may also be started simultaneously. For other symptoms loke nausea, vertigo etc you may need to use beta histidine and prochlormezapinefor few weeks.

When possible in future CT scan for the specific diagnosis should be considered Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 14 minutes later
Thank tou for the response. One more thing. I have read differnet things on line converning applying heat vs. ice to the neck to help. Which do you think is best, or should i alternate between the two?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Applying heat in this case may be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. In your case applying heat would be more helpful as cold packs are usually used in cases of decreasing blood flow towards an area in cases of potential chances of bleeding as in limiting bruises etc. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin