What causes pain and tingling sensation in the legs?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a female, 60 years old, who had always before this year been active. I am in pain daily. The pain ranges from moderate to severe at times. The pain is a deep pain in my upper legs, joints, and arms. I also have pain that restricts my back movement on the right side. I have tingling in my legs, mostly the thigh areas. I am very fatigued and at this point, depression is setting in. I have dealt with this since November of last year. I keep telling myself it will get better. Sometimes, the discomfort/pain is so bad that I hobbled around like a very old person. (totally not me) I soak in tubes of hot water to reduce the pain. I am concerned about always taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain...daily. In my family we have a history of diabetes, pancreatic cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and fibromyalgia.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need a through health check up,altered lifestyle,treatment as per need

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxxxxl57,
Thanks for using Health care magic for your health concern. I have read your query & understood your concern.
All of your problems seem to be due to aging process( specially after menopause when bones become weak due to decalcification following hormonal changes ) to cause bone weakness ( osteoporosis ) & also some nutritional deficiencies like calcium, vitamin D or B12 deficiency.... more so with hereditary predisposition for osteoarthritis / diabetes & also fibromyalgia.
The pain all over body could be due to osteoporosis,specific restriction on movements of right sided back- can be some aging changes in spine/ disc, to cause pain as well as tingling in thighs.The pain in joints of extremities start as a bad effect of osteoporosis & can lead to joint affection followed by fibromyalgia..as an effect of family history.
* I feel all the symptoms are basically due to nutritional deficiency/ weakness of bones & muscles over the age & it is possible to combat all he problems with-
- Through medical check up to exclude / confirm- diabetes, calcium/ vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, joint involvements, spinal or disc problems followed by treatment as per need advised by specific expert ( Physician, spinal surgeon, orthopedic surgeon )
- Get needful investigations done for possible issues & start with specific medication/ supplementation of deficient nutrients.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle to get relief & prevent further complications .
- Have a balanced healthy diet( carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals)specially for Calcium,( milk, milk products/ vegetables & salads, fruits)sprouts, eggs, non vegetarian food,dry fruits, Exposure to sunlight .
- Daily exercise like walking ,swimming - for 45 minutes.
- Stretching & yoga exercises under guidance of physiotherapist to prevent
disc & nerve pinching pain or arthritis & fibromyalgia.
* Thus with self care , healthy life style & needful medication with expert advise you can manage & get rid of the troublesome problems very well .
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query you have please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng