What causes pain and tingling sensation in arm and shoulder?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i HAVE BEEN HAVING PAIN IN MY RIGHT SHOULDER AND THE RIGHT ARM AND NOW THERE IS A TINGLING RUNNING DOWN MY ARM FROM THE SHOULDER TO LIKE THE RIGHT FOREARM. i HAVE ALSO BEEN GETTING CRAMPS IN MY RIGHT LEG, MOSTLY IN THE NIGHT WHILE LYING IN BED
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms could be related

Detailed Answer:
hi thanks for your question.

the symptoms in your arm and leg could
only be related if the problem was affecting the left side of your brain. I note that your do have high blood pressure. it would be worth getting your family dr to check you out to make sure this is not the case.

it's more likely that the symptoms are unrelated. the symptoms in your shoulder and forearm could be related to wear and tear in your neck. your dr should be able to identify the problem by taking a more thorough medical history and examining you. X-rays of your cervical spine would be useful and possibly an MRI scan of your neck.

it's very common to get cramps in your legs at night. tonic water a source of quinine sulphate can help. a warm bath. stretching your muscles before bed may be of benefit. your dr would also do a neurological assessment of your legs and examine the pulses in your legs to make sure there was no other explanation.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T