What causes pain and tenderness in the breasts?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Lump
Question: On Thursday, my left breast became very tender, painful. By friday morning It was very red and feels swollen. It feels harder than my right breat which is fine. It is firm, red, swollen painful and I gernally feel mailaise. Slight headache, had aching hips, knees and legs yesterday. Feel kind of nauseated altough that might be the antibiotics. Don know. started taking some clindamyacin that i had left over from a dental prescription I was given. It is only slightly better today . I m also taking Ibuprofin. My nipple is now less pronouced than my right nipple. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night completely drenched in sweat. Normally I dont even sweat even with vigouros excersize I only glisten a little. I am very clean and shower 1-2 times a day. noone has sucked my nipples. I am 59 years old, female and live in , Florida.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Breast ultrasound should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are characteristic of a general infection. As your breast is tender, its the most probable source of infection. Most likely you have an abscess inside the breast, that is why the antibiotic didn't help much.

Unfortunately, it may also be a possibility that you have inflammatory breast malignancy. It also acts like a breast inflammation.

I'd suggest you please do not wait. Please visit your doctor as soon as possible. Breast ultrasound is the first test you should have. If its an abscess should be drained. If a mass is found, a biopsy should be done.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee