What causes pain and swelling of the knee and ankle joints?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hi my name is XXXXXXX a few years back I injured my knees and ankle kicking a punching bag I went to the emergency room and they drain the fluids out of my knees and send me home with some medication but my angles and knees still swells up time to time it will get so bad that I can't walk what could be wrong with me
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to synovitis of knee and ankle.

Detailed Answer:
It could be due to synovitis of knee and ankle. I suggest you to get an xray of knee and ankle done to rule out any arthritic changes.
You can consult me after the reports or with your doctor.
Meanwhile do hot fomentation, elevate the limb and take anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen to reduce the pain and swelling.

Hope this helps you.

Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement