What causes pain and swelling in toe post injury?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: About the end of August, I think I broke my little toe. It still hurts when I wear shoes. What should I do to get it well. It is also swollen.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
X ray , NSAIDs, reduction

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

An x ray should be done to look for a fracture and confirm the diagnosis. NSAIDs like ibuprofen or diclofenac can be taken to reduce the swelling. These measures would have proven much more fruitful had they been done immediately after the trauma to the toe. If there is mild misalignment the closed reduction and immobilization can be done. If there is significant mal union then open reduction surgery would be required. You should consult an orthopedic surgeon in an ER soon to examine the toe and advise accordingly.

Let me know if you have any query

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil