What causes pain and swelling in the small joints of fingers and feet?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello Doctor, Good morning.
This is regarding my mother. She is aged 49 years. She is complaining fingers and feet (especially at joints) swelling and pain from some time. She consulted general physician and got some medication. As long as she is under medication, she is doing fine. Once the course is over, the problem is repeating. Any suggestion for us?. Is this due to any Kidney related problem?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Rheumatoid arthritis, SLE

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Does she have stiffness of the joints of the hand in the morning ?

Any pain at the back of the neck?

What is the medication that she is on?

Usually at her age group I would like to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis which is common in women.

You may need to get some tests done like Xray of the joints of the hands and feet, Cervical spine Xray, blood tests for Rheumatoid factor, CRP, ESR, Complete blood count and antiCCP to confirm.

She can apply warm packs to the painful joints for relief.

Sometimes kidney problem occurs with Joint pain as in SLE disease which requires a proper evaluation by a Rheumatologist.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina