• question-icon

What causes pain and swelling in the legs?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Patient had surgery on knee, leg swollen and insists on sitting in wheel chair, with leg down. I was Always told. I. Ice, C. compression, E. elevation.
The surgery was for a "cracked" knee cap and there is a large 3 X 6 open but heeling would on same leg, on shin.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol will decrease infection.

Detailed Answer:
Using alcohol around the wound will decrease the chances of infection but will not decrease the swelling. Keeping the leg elevated will help. He should not sit in wheel chair with leg down for more than 1-2 hours at a stretch.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon