• question-icon

What causes pain and swelling in the lateral mid calf area?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My husband has a localized area of swelling about 2 " in length and width, in his lateral mid calf area, which is painful to touch, no trauma that is remembered, no bruising. We have been traveling for about 40 hours by aircraft in the last 2 days. He forgot to use his elastic socks and I am concerned about a possible DVT. No other swelling is apparent in his leg.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible thrombophlebitis

Detailed Answer:
hi and welcome.

considering your symptoms,this is more likely to be superficial thrombophlebitis which means that small vein under the skin is inflamed and trombosized. this is benign condition and in this case you should avoid long sitting or laying, apply cold compresses,apply heparin gel 2 times daily for 5 days and wear elastic socks for 5 days.

however,deep vein thrombosis can't be ruled out for sure and if you have some concerns or risk factors such as obesity and hormonal replacement therapy ,you should check ddimers in blood and do Doppler ultrasound.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon