What causes pain and swelling in the hand?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi, i have been in pain with a swollen hand and nothing is working. i am using a ointment and tylenol for pain. It will be a week monday. My hand is also turning red.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Early diagnosis and proper treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/76 - pain - swelling of hand - about a week - nothing is working - turning red - using ointment and Tylenol for pain...

The short history is indicative of an active infection and may be abscess formation in the hand as it will be a week on Monday.
I would advise you the following:
Please post clear and focused pictures if possible as it helps for on-the-spot diagnosis in some of the cases.
Clinical evaluation and examination by a Doctor, preferably by a General Surgeon or Hand Surgeon whoever is available.
Tests of blood for: CBC, Sugar, kidney functions and others as required.
To get started on antibiotic cover and better anti-inflammatory medicines.
Elevation of the hand above the heart level in laying down position.
X-ray/ High resolution Ultrasound/ MRI to know the internal changes and to get operated if there is abscess formation. Surgery also helps to reduced the edema/swelling and pain as required.

I hope this answer helps you to get proper diagnosis and treatment.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.