• question-icon

What causes pain and swelling in the gum of lower left wisdom tooth?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Dental Health
Question: Hi Dr,
I am having pain in the gum of the lower left wisdom tooth. I think the Tooth has not come out properly and gum is tearing. The gum is swollen and I have difficulty in talking food.Please suggest medication to reduce the pain
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be inflammation of gum flap causing PERICORONITIS..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain it seems that your gum flap over your partially erupted wisdom tooth is infected..
Due to infection there is inflammation of the gum flap surrounding the wisdom tooth leading to swelling and pain..
Infection occurs in that area due to food accumulation..

As for now you can take anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen for moderate pain..
But if pain is severe take Ketorolac..
Along with it keep the area clean and do not let food accumulation..
Continue with warm saline gargles..
You can continue applying Zytee gel as it has both antiseptic and pain relieving ingredients..
Gargle with antiseptic mouthwash..

This is to atain temporary relief..

But for a permanent resolution you should consult a Dentist and get evaluated..
He can also do an x ray of the wisdom tooth to check whether it is erupt without any obstruction or is impacted ( wisdom tooth that is either tilted or obstructed by bone that will not erupt completely)..

If the tooth is not impacted then you will be given a course of antibiotics, painkillers and the area between the tooth and gum flap will be cleaned to remove infection as well as Inflammation..
If the condition recurs or does not improve then a small portion of gum flap will be removed under local anaesthesia..

But in case if the tooth is impacted extraction is the only permanent solution..

Any further questions are welcome..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist