What causes pain and swelling in lower neck?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: The right side of my neck has some pain and sometimes it goes near the bottom of the neck with a little budge. i went to one md he said it was possibly salvatory gland but he sent me to an ent eho said he did not feel any times but said it was related to a car wreck i was in two years ago. Could this be cancerous or could it be muscle related i have circled the spot where its sticks out near bottom of the neck. I would really like to know whats causing this and what it would take to go away.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle wry, physiotherapy advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
This looks like a muscle wry of the sternocleidomastoid muscle and is very common but usually can be treated by simple physiotherapy exercises and infrared heat therapy available at most physiotherapy centers.
This is most probably related to the car wreck incident.
It will be cured soon most likely but there can be some leftover mass which is not a cancerous one so don't be anxious about complete cure.
All the best.
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 10 minutes later
Ok thanks ive noticed that it gets worse when i exercise. i used to be a bodybuilder so working out is important to me. i also wake up every morning with dry mouth. i am not sure if sinus problems can elevate it. The right side of neck hurt first but radiate to the front. I had a bad tooth infection on that side over a year ago but lower neck pain remained after antibiotics and removal of tooth so doctor said that car wreck. Can you give me good way to treat this condition to better my life? i have hot tub and heating pads at home for some treament but want to address it properly.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Heating pads will be good

Detailed Answer:
Body building exercises might make it worse by increasing the muscle mass so try to avoid the exercises which will need excess of stress on your sternocleidomastoid (I hope your gym trainer can tell you some).
That bad tooth had no role in this disease.
Heating pads can help you lots.
Intermittent heating pad strapping can give a lot of relief if used regularly for at least 45-60 days and along with that in case you can visit a physiotherapist and learn some good exercises then it will heal even faster.
Try these simple measures and I hope you will have a lot of relief soon.

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN