• question-icon

What causes pain and swelling in knee?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Knee pain and swelling which disappear in the morning but increases in the evening,. Absolutely no stiffness of knee in the morning or anytime. No pain on bending ,but pain starts after prolonged standing. Can it be OA? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No this is chondromalacia

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. This is not knee osteoarthritis as you do not belong to that age where knee develop arthritis. I think you are developing knee chondromalacia. I would sugggest you following.
1. Avoid sqautting and sitting cross leg.
2.Avoid stairs climbing. If you have starter any jogging or yoga you need to avoid it for three months.
3.Take Rosiflex trio daily for three months. It contains XXXXXXX seeds extract which is good for knee joints.
4.Physiotherapy can be helpful in form of static quadriceps exercises.
Chondromalacia is self limiting disease. So I would suggest you to follow above mentioned steps.There is no need to be panic about this.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 hours later
What else can I do to resolve the problem quickly
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 45 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weight reduction and physiotherapy will help you.

Detailed Answer:
Wright reduction is one thing which is difficult but helpful. Also take calcium 1000 mg daily. Vitamin D 3 can be taken 60000 unit per week for six weeks.
I wish you a fast and speedy recovery. I its self limiting disease so heal by it self. weight reduction, life style modification and physiotherapy with calcium and vitamin D daily will be helpful .

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement