What causes pain and swelling below thumb and index finger?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Back Pain
Question: i Accidentally hit my hand on the kitchen platform. immediately felt pain below area of thumb and index finger. Since then there is slight swelling. not able to move the thumb. for past two days. i have the problem of degenerative arthritis in my hand but in initial stage.
i am experiencing pain which is increasing bit by bit. please suggest what should be done to. reduce pain and swelling.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be bone or soft tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:
The pain and swelling below the thumb and index finger can be due to a soft tissue injury or bone injury or a tendon injury. The exact cause needs to be detected after a clinical examination and investigations like X-ray and MRI scan.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid any stressful or painful activity of hand.
3. Keep the hand elevated on two pillows while resting. You can use an arm sling during the day.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal