What causes pain and swelling around the ankle and top of the left foot?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hello.
My left foot has been swollen and in pain around my ankle and top of the foot for a few months. Doctors have not given me a clear clue about it. They sent me home with vitamin supplements. I requested them to give me a copy of the MRI images so that I could have other opinions about my condition. I need a clear interpretation and would like to know what exactly I am dealing with hear. I have more images but was only allowed to post 3. Please let me know how I should send you the rest.
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 14 hours later
Brief Answer:

Please upload CD DVD images and share download link.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in to us.

It is not possible to comment on the images posted by you. Usually we have 150 to 200 images which need to be looked at before an accurate interpretation is made.

You can try the following ways to send the complete images of your MRI ankle and foot area.

Please upload entire CD DVD files to a file sharing facility like Drop box and send me the download link.

or

Please upload CD DVD to Google drive and then share your link to YYYY@YYYY and address it to my name: Dr Vivek Chail

or contact customer care for help if you are not able to proceed with above methods.

Please send the download link in a follow up query.

Dr. Vivek Chail, Radiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 3 days later
Hello Dr. Chali,

These are all the files in my MRI DVD.

Felora_H_MRI - Google Drive
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

There are tiny degenerative bone changes in the outer side of the ankle.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your MRI ankle scan.

There are tiny degenerative subarticular cystic areas in the lower end of the fibula at the ankle joint in the lateral malleolus area.

The changes are not a serious concern but can cause symptoms in and around the outer ankle joint area.

There is no significant ankle joint effusion.

The muscles tendons and ligament attachments are normal. The rest of the bones are normal.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Vivek Chail, Radiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Dr. Chali,

Thank you for your response. Do you recommend any form of supplement such as curcumin or pain relief creams such as Penetrex?

Thanks,
- Felora
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

You can take supplements and pain relief for supportive care.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back with an update.

You can use supplements including Curcumin or pain relief creams such as Penetrex to decrease the pain and discomfort. This is mainly as a supportive care.

Please note that there are some degenerative changes in the bones which is causing the symptoms and it cannot be entirely cured with medicines.

Supportive care will help you to control the pain to some extent.

Dr. Vivek Chail, Radiologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 22 minutes later
Dr. Chail,

I really appreciate your prompt and detailed responses. Is this condition a form of osteoarthritis? If so, besides the supportive care for pain relief, is there any permanent cure for it?

Wish you the best,

Thanks,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

The area of bone affected in your ankle is small and needs supportive care.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your valuable appreciation.

It is osteoarthritis and is due to degenerative changes in the bones and cartilage at the joint. There are changes due to wear and tear at the joints.

In severe osteoarthritis of the bigger joints like knee and hip, replacement surgery with implants can be a step towards permanent cure.

In your case the affected area is small and the rest of the ankle bones are good. Therefore ankle replacement surgery is not for you.

The treatments recommended are usually with medicines and life style modification.

Physical therapy and steroid injections in to the joint can also help.

The treatment outcomes are variable and need to be discussed with your doctors.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health

Dr. Vivek Chail
Radiologist