What causes pain and stiffness in the neck?
Can be cervical spondylosis.
Thanks for posting your query.
Stiff neck and pain can be due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
4. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
5. You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does herniated disc cause pain and stiffness in neck
- Stiff neck and shoulders causes
- Stiff neck muscles causes
- What causes pain and stiffness in hip
- What is the cause of stiff and painful wrists
- Chronic stiff neck causes
- What causes severe shoulder pain leading to stiffness in neck
- Causes of neck stiffness nerves
- Accutane cause neck stiffness
- Stiff neck causes