What causes pain and stiffness in neck?
What has me worried is that I started having balance issues, like not bad enough that I stumble, but I notice it (like having a glass of wine), maybe balance might not be the right word, maybe light "headedness" but only when I get up fast from a chair, or if I whip my head fast. No vision issues.
Heat pads or ice, and massage help. Physical activity makes it go away...e.g., when I play basketball I don't notice it. Also, I've put on a lot of weight pretty quickly, something like 80lbs over the last 2yrs, idk if that matters. Any ideas?
X-ray of neck or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
Thanks for your query.
Neck pain, stiffness and light "headedness" that you are having are suggestive of degenerative spondylottic changes of the cervical spine.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
4. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
5. You can avoid using a pillow.
6. Symptomatic relief from the spinning sensation & losing balance can be achieved by taking antihistamines like BETAHISTINE, after consulting a physician.
I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Next step would be to start with conservative measures as mentioned above. If the symptoms persist even after these measures, surgical intervention might required depending upon the severity of condition.
Wishing yo speedy recovery..
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does herniated disc cause pain and stiffness in neck
- Stiff neck and shoulders causes
- Stiff neck muscles causes
- What causes pain and stiffness in hip
- What is the cause of stiff and painful wrists
- Chronic stiff neck causes
- What causes severe shoulder pain leading to stiffness in neck
- Causes of neck stiffness nerves
- Accutane cause neck stiffness
- Stiff neck causes