What causes pain and soreness on shoulder and neck?

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. I am having neck, shoulder/neck/back (upper right) sore and pain for years, and right arm to fingers numbness 24*7 starting few weeks ago, went to chiro advice might be soft tissue then i went to neurologist perform multiple test seeing no trouble and they referred me to MRI for cervical spine without contract ound result as
unremarkable appearance of cervical spine.
T2 heterogeneous hyper intense right thyroid nodule
so if this related to my upper shoulder/back pain and numbness?
also which doc i should go to see for those treatment what are the treatments will be

thank You
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get FNAC for thyroid.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

Looking at your clinical history and MRI findings, I am of the opinion that there is no correlation.
The MRI says, the cervical spine is normal.
However some amount of nerve compression should be seen to express your symptoms.
The only significant finding is thyroid nodule on the right side and I would advise you to get an fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) test to rule out any malignancy.

However, thyroid nodule finding would not explain your symptoms.
Your symptoms and features are classical of cervical spondylosis, but MRI suggest otherwise.
I would advise you to take preventive measures, and see if it improves.
1. Wear a neck collar, most of the times - avoid while sleeping. Look for proper size.
2. Avoid pillow and try to sleep on a hard surface
3. Try neck exercises to strengthen muscles around the neck
4. Avoid any sort of weights, even minor for a few days (even bath should be with shower, no mugs) especially with your right hand. Left hand also should be limited to light weights. (as it presses on the vertebrae and could cause pain)
5. NSAID pain killers for pain
6. Back exercises to strengthen back muscles.
7. Physiotherapy to strengthen neck and back muscles.

Try to improve your nutrition with Vitamin B12 and minerals.

We can try this for a few days - 10 days and hope for improvement. No jerks for neck or vertebrae for next few days should be seen. If it improves atleast symptomatically, we can go further with spondylosis diagnosis.

Try to get this FNAC done and treatment followed.
Hopefully it helps.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Jyothi BL