What causes pain and soreness in sternum area?
I started smoking at 17 and smoked about 1 pack per day until I almost stopped at 32 but continued to smoke about 1-1/2 packs PER MONTH...I continued this stupid practice until I was 46 when I stopped completely. I have been quit now for about 20 years as I am nearly 66.
I have these symptoms:
Soreness intermittent in the right sternum area of chest
Soreness intermittent under right scapula
Ache in Right shoulder intermittent
I know its not likely my shoulder as it was checked...slight arthritis
I do have IBS which some people say causes these type of symptoms
I have Moderate Spinal Stenosis in the neck area and I am told that could cause these issues as well
Its not my heart as I play tennis 2x per week and have had a stress test that I did well on last year
What do you think?? Ever heard of lung cancer presenting with these symptoms only?
I get scared because of my stupid past activity.
No symptom for lung cancer
I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.
Your actual symptoms are not related to heart problems.
From what you are describing, it seems that the pain and soreness you feel are due to nerve compression by moderate spinal stenosis.
Arthritis is also another possible cause.
I advise to take :
- pain killer to ease the pain
- take multivitamins containing also glucosamine
Although the pain you feel, as long as you are physically active, that is temporary.
With regards to lung cancer, you are not reporting chronic coughing or hemoptysia (blood in sputum).
Hope it answered to your queries!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Psychedelic mushrooms causing pain in sternum
- What causes severe stabbing pain under the sternum
- What causes sharp pain in sternum after a bypass surgery
- What causes pain in the sternum and tingling on wrist
- What causes pain in sternum under the clavicle
- Sinus infection causing sternum pain
- What causes mid back pain and the pain around sternum
- What causes the sternum more painful with diarrhea and nausea
- Sternum discomfort painful breathing what is causing this
- Pain below sternum causes