question-icon

What causes pain and soreness in sternum area?

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: Dear Doctor,

I started smoking at 17 and smoked about 1 pack per day until I almost stopped at 32 but continued to smoke about 1-1/2 packs PER MONTH...I continued this stupid practice until I was 46 when I stopped completely. I have been quit now for about 20 years as I am nearly 66.

I have these symptoms:

Soreness intermittent in the right sternum area of chest

Soreness intermittent under right scapula

Ache in Right shoulder intermittent

I know its not likely my shoulder as it was checked...slight arthritis

I do have IBS which some people say causes these type of symptoms

I have Moderate Spinal Stenosis in the neck area and I am told that could cause these issues as well

Its not my heart as I play tennis 2x per week and have had a stress test that I did well on last year

What do you think?? Ever heard of lung cancer presenting with these symptoms only?

I get scared because of my stupid past activity.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
No symptom for lung cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

Your actual symptoms are not related to heart problems.

From what you are describing, it seems that the pain and soreness you feel are due to nerve compression by moderate spinal stenosis.

Arthritis is also another possible cause.

I advise to take :
- pain killer to ease the pain
- take multivitamins containing also glucosamine

Although the pain you feel, as long as you are physically active, that is temporary.
With regards to lung cancer, you are not reporting chronic coughing or hemoptysia (blood in sputum).

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Benard
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist