• question-icon

What causes pain and soreness in right-sided abdomen pain under the ribs?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: I have contacted this website before concerning my husband continual pain on right side right under his ribs. What could be making his side so sore and now is having a pain shoot through that side.

Thank you. What is a proper test for this? He has been to 3 different doctors and no one seems to know what is going on with him. And they haven't tried to follow up with him either to see if he needs something else done that would provide an answer. He gets disgusted going to the doctor and they don't seem to have any answers for him. He just spends money and gets no answers.

Thanks again, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound of the abdomen including liver, gall bladder, kidneys

Detailed Answer:

Is the area tender to touch, I mean does it pain on pressing or touching?
Did any medicine work for him like normal pain killers or anti spasmodics during his pain periods?
Does he have vomiting or nausea or change in stool frequency or color?
I think the first step would be to go and get Ultrasound of the abdomen, including liver, gall bladder, pancreas. Liver enzyme tests should be done
Since Xray was done the lung pathology is almost ruled out.
You can directly see at a lab and get them done if they can do it without a referral from doctor
Let me know your thoughts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar