What causes pain and restriction of the joint movement in shoulder?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question

Here I am asking for my mom..My mom had a displacement of left shoulder on 15 april 2014. Now her bandage has been removed
from last two months. But still she is not able to lift her whole hand up. She can now only raise her hand upto 60 degree.
If she wants to raise her hand 180 degree. then she can only raise that with the help of other hand. She has always have
so much of pain in her hand. If she wants to raise her hand slowly to 180 degree , then after 90 degree she has lot of pain
in her hand. But same thing if she is moving her hand fastly to 180 degree. Then she is able to move it.
Also, her muscles are very tight and it feels like some stones are inside her hand.

Physiotherapy is going on.
1. She is doing pulley excercise. And also all the excercises whatever the physiotherapy doctor has said.
Still the pain is there and not able to raise her hand 180 degree.

Is Massage will helpful to her?

Or I will take any second opinion? Please suggest me the best possible way.

I am sending you the report please check it and do the needful.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
massage will help.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen all the reports attached.
The pain in the shoulder and the restriction of the joint movement is likely to be due to post traumatic stiffness of the joint and the stiffness of the rotator cuff muscles.
Doing hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel like volini gel is likely to help her . She can go for a regular massage to decrease the muscle stiffness. Continue with the physiotherapy exercises and do get an oral muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside prescribed from her orthopedician.
Taking a second opinion will help in confirming these findings.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes pain and restriction of the joint movement in shoulder? 14 hours later
Thanks doctor for your valuable answer.
I have some little doubt, which i want to clear from you.
1. How much time she needs to do exercise in a day?
2. What kind of exercises will helpful for her fast pain relief?
3. Can she use heating pad or hot water? And if she is using heating pad , then for how many minutes she has to heat her hand and if she is using hot water, then please tell me the procedure how to put the towel or something in her hand and for how many minutes?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
1. She needs to do the exercise at least twice a day and before exercise she can do a hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel over the affected area.
2. Pain can be relieved with muscle relaxants and pain killers like tramadol. Regular exercise of 8-10 weeks will help in decreasing the stiffness and she will gradually regain her muscle strength.
3. She can use a heating pad for 10 minutes two or three times a day. Wet towel soaked in hot water can also be used for 10 minutes.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes pain and restriction of the joint movement in shoulder? 7 hours later
Again thank you for your valuable answer.

Doctor one more question please
1.In " Tramadol" medicine is there any side effect? I want to know because as she have two stinting on her heart,also diabetes, blood pressure.
2.When she has to take medicine? After food or before food? And when there will be lot of pain, that time she to take or with little pain also she can take?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
After food for severe pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Tramadol can be taken with heart problem like stents. The mild side effects are headache sleepiness dizziness. But these side effects are mild and well tolerated. Doses can be reduced after monitoring the effect of the medicine. It is to be taken twice daily when she is feeling pain. Taken after food.
It is best top start it after consulting her orthopedician.
Regards.