What causes pain and numbness in the right thigh?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2018
Jan 2018
Excellent
Question
Hi! So my boyfriend and I had sex for the first time today. About an hour later, I realized a part of my right thigh was numb. It doesn’t hurt at all thought. It starts a little above the inside of my knee and ends about mid thigh. It’s only on that side. The other side of my thigh and everywhere else I still feel everything just fine. Please help! I’m just curious if this was caused by intercourse somehow or if maybe it could be something else.
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some more information, rest, supplements.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at this virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1.First of all do not panic.

2. I would like to know -
- if you had experienced the symptoms that you have mentioned anytime before this?
-Do you have any issues with your back muscles or spine before?
- Did your sexual activity involved lot of flexion at hip joint?

Please provide me some more inputs to help you out in a better manner.

For the time being, please take rest.
Drink plenty of water.
Do not indulge in exercises till you are well.
Please continue with multivitamin and multimineral supplements, if you are already taking regularly.

I hope this answer was helpful to you!
Please kindly rate it as helpful and write a short review about your experience with me! I would appreciate that a lot.
Thank you and best regards!
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Follow-up: What causes pain and numbness in the right thigh? 26 minutes later
Thank you for getting back to me!

To answer your questions:
>No, I have not experienced these symptoms before.
>Back in high school when I played volleyball, for about a 2 week span it felt like I may have had a pinched nerve on the left side of my lower back. Like low as in borderline on my bum lol But it was definitely in my back. It went away all the way up until about the beginning of December. It reoccurred again for another few weeks but it went away again a few days before Christmas. It seems to come and go but it’s only happened twice.
>Yes. I was laid on my back and he had my legs spread apart, my knees up pretty high and close to my body. Nothing was painful at all though!

Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
take rest. Consult neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

I have gone through the information that you have provided. Thanks for that.

I would like to assure you that your symptoms are not due to your recent sexual activity as such. Please remove that fear from your mind.
There can be element of nerve compression, at your spine level.

I will suggest you to consult neurologist in your nearby location ang get the things sorted out. Till then please take rest. Do not bend over or lift any weights.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to communicate with me again.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Follow-up: What causes pain and numbness in the right thigh? 24 minutes later
Will do. Thank you for helping me out! I appreciate it. I am relieved now and will be scheduling an appointment with my doctor if this doesn’t go away by tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get well soon. Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Get well soon.
God bless you always.

Please do rate this as a helpful experience.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar