• question-icon

What causes pain and numbness in the right leg?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am having pain in my right hip and numbness in my right leg and lower left leg. I have a compressed fracture in my L1.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to nerve root compression

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . the symptoms you are experiencing are most probably due to nerve root compression caused by the compression fracture at the level of L1. This can be relieved by analgesics as acetaminophen or oxycodone to relive pain. Also taking lyrica tablets once daily can help relieve your symptoms , but it can cause the side effect of dizziness , so it should be taken before going to bed . This should be combined with Bone-strengthening drugs such as bisphosphonates (such as Actonel, Boniva, and Fosamax) help stabilize or restore bone loss . If these medications were not able to improve your symptoms then you should consider nerve block which could give a temporary relieve lasting from 1-4 months.
the last resort will be surgical correction by vertebroplasty or vertebral fusion surgery if all the above measures failed.
I would also recommend that you get an X-ray of your hip joint to exclude oesteoarthritis as a cause of the hip pain. I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman