• question-icon

What causes pain and numbness in the right hand?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm right handed.
When I grasp something, like a screw driver or a pen in my right hand, my arm and hand go to sleep. It is getting difficult and painful.
What causes this?
What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you please explain what do you mean by "arm and hand go to sleep"

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic, I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

Can you please explain what you mean by "arm and hand go to sleep"
Is it pain / stiffness / flailness / weakness / numbness / different sensations ?

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 20 hours later
Weakness nd numbness.
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be Brachial Plexus or Nerve Involvement

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam

You are having
1. Weaknes
2. Numbess

Of Right Upper Limb

This can be due to
1. Neuropathy - Can be Lesions of Cortex, Long Tracts, Spinal Cord, Brachial Plexus or Nerves
2. Myopathy

To Evaluate further
We need to do

MRI Cervical Spine with Whole Spine and Brain Screening
Nerve Conduction Studies

Please consult a Neurosurgeon near your place who will be guiding you in a proper manner

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery

-oOo-

PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical