What causes pain and numbness in the lower back radiating to the legs?

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have being having pain and numbness in my lower back going down in my legs and feet also burning too after a back surgery I also having the same feeling in my neck and shoulders and hands
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
elevating your legs and a Doppler U/S on venous system to exclude vascular injury for your feet swelling and some lifestyle changes for your back pain like spinal straightening exercises , hot massages with topical gels and physiotherapy will be a good start .

Detailed Answer:

Hi Mrs XXXXXXX
I am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using healthcaremagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

I think you may ask at the nearest neurological center where you could find such tests .
From your given history of your 2 past surgeries in your spine you have both cervical and lumbar stenosis that is shown from your given history of upper back shoulder and neck pain accompanied with lower sciatica and low back pain .
Also in my opinion that kind of swelling in your feet is called bilateral lower limb edema which is usually due to a vascular injury like DVT ( deep vein thrombosis ) or a cardiac disease anyway i think you may need a Doppler U/S on your lower limb venous system .
For now you may avoid heavy lifting , overweight , vigorous movements , bad sleeping or sitting postures , standing for long times .
Try elevating both legs on a pillow to decrease the swelling use hot massages with topical gels , try B12 and calcium supplementation for postmenopausal osteoporosis and chronic neuropathic pain
Painkiller like advil tab when needed , pregabalin 400mg tab once daily , physiotherapy , spinal straightening exercises , hot massages and even yoga are helpful , muscle relaxants , steroid injections are effective with most of cases .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad