• question-icon

What causes pain and numbness in the foot long after back surgery?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Back Pain
Question: 4 1/2 years ago I fell down steps while pregnant and injured my back that every few months I would have back pain and going down the leg till last November when I really injured it and herniated a disc. A day after the accident my right leg went completely numb, could hardly stand or walk. Saw a back surgeon and had surgery. Doctor removed a piece the size of his thumb from my back. My lower back has healed great since then but leg has not. The whole way from that spot in my back down the back of my leg and most of my ankle and foot has no feeling other than painful tingly. Just a week ago I stepped on glass and never felt it. Will the feeling come back? Should I seek more help? I have been doing physical therapy the leg is stronger but still the same on lack of feeling since surgery.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seek more help!

Detailed Answer:

For 4.5years following the injury without great improvements, prospects are low. Th ecstatic nerve was probably injured during this accident and explains the deficit in neurological signals. I will recommend that you see a neurologist for comprehensive evaluation and guidance. Waiting longer wouldn’t help with this.

With sensation reduced, you must take proactive measures to protect the leg as you may sustain a wound and not realize. Make it a wish to often examine the leg and always put on protective shoe wear.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be. Above all, keep me updated with the outcome of your visit to a neurologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Chobufo Ditah