What causes pain and numbness in the fingers?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: woken up this morning by extreme pain and numbness and stiffness in fingers and left hand. i have had pain in hand and fingers before but not as severe and not lasting as long. What could this be? The tips of my fingers also felt cold to touch
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Impairment of blood flow vs. nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Two are the most probable conditions that may cause your symptoms:

1- impairment of blood flow to the hand ( bad arm position during sleep, arteriosclerosis of the arteries of the arm )

2- nerve compression ( again bad arm position, tunnel compression syndromes ),

It is necessary to get evaluated clinically by your Doctor when can order tests after the examination (Doppler ultrasound if vascular disease suspected or nerve conduction study if nerve compression suspected ) in order to achieve a correct diagnosis.

Since you had issues previously, I would think about nerve compression syndromes.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad