What causes pain and numbness in the finger?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My left pinky is numb. However, every now and then I get a sharp pain when I touch it in a certain area on the lower part of the finger. Is this something that I should be concerned about; what should I do to relieve the pain? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
The sensation that you are having is due to nerve irritation or injury.
Did you have any trauma to the finger?
If not then it could be irritation of the nerve due to an indwelling infection.
I would recommend you to apply natifloxacin ointment locally twice a day for a week over the area where it pains .
If the pain is very severe you could continue tyelinol.
Once the infection will start resolving nerve irritation will also subside .
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy