• question-icon

What causes pain and numbness in the feet?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello,

This query is for my mother 57yrs old. She gets pain in lower side of feet and around thumb of feet after walking. Its not after normal walk but only is she walks a lot. And after some rest Or with some massage, the pain goes away.
Some additional information:
1) The pain is there since more than one year now. But it was not regular. It is more intense and more frequent since last 3-4 months.
2) Roughly 6 months back, she did test for uric acid and it was little more than normal range. she took some medicine to control it. It helped temporarily but after sometime the pain started again. I again did test for uric acid and it was in normal range. So I didn't take any medicine once again.

can you please share your views on this? And please let me know if you need any additional information?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be gouty arthritis of big toe.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic surgeon.
Going by your description, it appears that she has arthritis of Big toe joint( MP joint of great toe). The cause of arthritis has to be found. Normally in raised S Uric acid levels, this is a common problem.
I would suggest X Rays of both feet AP/Obl and repeat S Uric acid levels. If there is XXXXXXX of arthritis and raised Uric Acid levels- then first Uric acid level has to be
controlled .
For arthritis multiple procedures like local injections, surgical correction of fusion may be required depending on the cause.
I hope that this answers your question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon