question-icon

What causes pain and numbness in back and shoulder?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016
Question: I have all over back pain but especially shoulder pain, with numbness in left shoulder. Had for years, but become worse and constant since a fall on XXXXXXX 17,02016. 2 days ago numbness in left shoulder extended to arm and side. My internist primary physician does not take this serious and has not sent me to specialist. If I knew which specialist I need I'd find a way to get an appointment. What specialist shd I see? I've seen chiropractor. ps Air conditioning greatly increases shoulder pain. Thank u
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Consult an orthopedic surgeon please.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query. I have read your query &understood your concern.
looking at your age..the old pain in back & shoulder you have can be due to osteoporosis &weaknes of bones/degenerative changes in spinal cord or joints.
The recent fall you had in XXXXXXX .. seems to have injured your left shoulder which has lead to compression on nerve supplying your hand at spinal/shoulder level.. causing numbness of hand.Also traumatic joint involvement can increase shoulder pain as well as nerve symptoms after exposure to cold.
*In this respect you should consult an orthopedic surgeon for his expert examination followed by needful investigations (cbc,serum calcium &vitamin D/xray,CTScan or MRI of spine &left shoulder) followed by specific management in form of medicines/physiotherapy or surgery if needful.
I hope you found the answer informative &useful.Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale