What causes pain and muscle cramps in the right leg?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the last three nights trying to sleep i have been having a lot of pain cramping and spasms in my rt thigh knee and in front of the leg and back of the leb im a back sleeper and when i elevate my legs on pillows i get pain and spasms also sitting pain rt hip and leg no pain when walking or standing i am recently on coumadin level 3.0 last december i had sciatica but could not walk without pain at that time i took 2 50 mg tramdol made me woozy did not target the pain.i also have lymphadema thats why i elevate my legs on pillows and have a leg wound on the shin of the rt leg with gentamycin cream and dressing and ace wrapping XXXXXXX myrt buttock hurts when i sit on it.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
A step by step approach needs to be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that somehow you have developed an electrolyte imbalance. Blood test to confirm electrolyte imbalance can be taken.

I would insist you to take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps. You also need to increase total fluid (water) intake and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.

If that does not help, hot compress should provide relief. The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take paracetamol or acetaminophen 500 mg two tablets together twice or thrice daily for next 3 days. This should ease the problem and make it go away. If it does not help I would insist you to get a X Ray of Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports. Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj