• question-icon

What causes pain and loss of vision in left eye with dry eyes?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: A year ago I went to the opthomologist due to left eye pain. I was diagnosed with dry eye and use over the counter artificial tears daily. The pain has gotten worse and I've lost vision. I decided to take a photo (see attached) to see if i saw something that was out of the ordinary.

I have 2 questions:
1. First picture: I do see something on my iris, like a "glare" (left eye). Is this normal?
2. Second picture: what are these "pink" areas on my plica?

I do have high blood pressure and have connective tissue disease. Any help is appreciated. I'm tired of my left eye hurting constantly. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs thorough examination

Detailed Answer:
My dear
Thanks for sending your query to us.

It was good of you to send these photographs .The pattern on nasal side is not normal am not able to have depth perception of this photograph if the white pattern is on the outer layer ,that is cornea or on the inner, that is iris.On the iris such pattern denote iris atrophy. On the cornea it is a dystrophy and can be related to connective tissue disorders.

The redness over plica is related to connective tissue effects and anti inflammatory eye drops like Acular LS can be helpful,

please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 39 hours later
Thank you so much. Could the iris atrophy be caused by lack of blood flow to the eye? Ive been having pain and weird bubbly sensation on the left side of my neck and this is my left eye.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed investigation needed.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.

Primarily I am not too sure if this is iris atrophy.That's due to the hang of photograph. In any case this needs detailed examination and investigation to come to a accurate diagnosis in your case, primarily for the reason of visual loss. These investigation have to be done in view of your general condition and connective tissue disorder.

Any further query in this regard please do get back to me.

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist