What causes pain and irritation after applying Tricyclic antidepressants for genital warts?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello, so couples days ago I was diagnosed with symptoms that's close to genital warts but the physician wasn't sure of it. So she went to apply TCA on my "warts"
, she told me to not go to bathroom for 4 hours but wash off at 6 hrs, so I followed her instruction except I lieft it there for 7 hrs because I fell asleep. But after the TCA treatment my genital became really painful, it hurts when I go to bathroom walking even sitting.
And now the genital is swollen and white sore appeared, is this normal or is anything serious or because I left it too long and deeply burned it.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably normal

Detailed Answer:
TCA is an acid and the intent of it is to burn off the warts. It can cause pain and irritation. I doubt that you leaving it for one extra hour was the cause of this pain and irritation. It is normal for it to turn the skin white and to cause some inflammation and swelling around the area that was treated.
Just keep the area clean. Apply some cool compresses to the area for comfort and it should start getting better in a few days.
If it does not then see your doctor again.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 6 minutes later
It didn't swollen much the first 2 days I received the treatment but it got worse today and white ulcer appeared and the places where I recieved the TCA is constantly bleeding had some discharges too. My concern is if the ulcer is normal or is it herpes. I am really worried.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be from TCA

Detailed Answer:
TCA if applied to normal skin can cause an ulcer. If it is bleeding and you have a discharge from it there could be some infection going on so it would be a good idea to call your doctor's office and ask them to see you in followup. it sounds like you are having a complication of the TCA treatment not herpes.
Dr. Kathy Robinson