What causes pain and heaviness in left half of body?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 74 years old, woman; shooting pain in left leg and left arm; left foot and leg feel heavy (heavier
than the right leg) when I got up this morning it hurt so bad I had to use my husband's walker to even
walk. As the day went on I kept trying to walk and it got better but leg feels heavy. I can walk but not well.
This started about three weeks ago with pain in left leg when I sat in my recliner
with feet elevated. But today it is the entire left leg and left arm. I have been on Crestor and for a while on Zetia for cholesterol which is well under control. Could this be poor circulation or Peripheral Neuropathy? What do you think is wrong with me? email is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be a stroke in brain

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. I think heaviness in left half of body can be caused by a brain stroke. It is due to decrease blood supply to brain or a haemorrhage.This is a serious condition and need further investigation. I would recommend you to meet a neurologist and get your self examined by him. You might need a CT scan. If this is a brain stroke then you need to take medication to prevent further such stroke. Also you have to keep your blood pressure under control.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. let me know if there is any other followup questions. thanks