Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes pain and discomfort while urination?

Excellent

Question
I have been having discomfort and some pain when I urinate for many months. MY dr says since I don't have any infection he feel it is caused by the external beam radiation i had in XXXXXXX 2012 .He claims that it is something I may have all my life. It is not that bad most of the time. Wore when bladder is full. Then as bladder empties discomfort lessens.
I wake up every night a couple times with this pain. any sujestions? My prostate is small and PSA .02
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms: You have been having discomfort and some pain while urination. You do not have any infection. In this context, it most likely seems to be due to External beam radiation. External beam radiation can cause common side effects like urgency,some discomfort during urination,urinary frequency , getting up night to urinate.

The other possibility is Interstitial cystitis which is a bladder condition. Ultrasound scan and cystoscopy are two tests that confirms this condition.

If I were your treating doctor I would suggest
Smooth muscle relaxants like Oxybutinin 5 mg
Bladder training: instead of going whenever you feel the urge, before going to bed you urinate two times with interval of 10-15 minutes to avoid painful urination during nights.
Avoid drinking water before bed.
Your treating doctor will know about this.
Continue Tyenol for pain.

If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.