• question-icon

    What causes pain and discomfort in the genitals?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi there,
I have been feeling some discomfort in the in between area. Like where my tush meets my vagina. It's hard to describe. It feels like something is inside me, in my tush but I'm also having some burning in my genitals. It's not terrible at all but it's not great. I don't know what the heck this is. I feel like its a cross between a hemorrhoid and a yeast infection. Can one have both? Ive never had a hemorrhoid before. I can't see my doc until Wednesday. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some additional info.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query. Let me know few things:

1) How long do you have these types of clinical features?

2) Do you have any constipation, bleeding during defecation or itching around anus region?

3) Do you have any type of vaginal discharge with bad odor? Itching or redness?

4) Are you currently sexually active? Do you undergo routine Pap Smear test?

Waiting for your earliest response for proper suggestion and guideline.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
I've had pressure for about a week and I thought it might be constipation, then it turned into something else. It's mostly when I lie down, that's when I notice it the most. Or sitting. But walking too. No pain. Just discomfort. Like there is something blocking me.
No bleeding or itching. No discharge. Anywhere.
I do undergo regular Paps and they are normal.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS should be ruled out. Not Hemorrhoid.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for putting additional info. Followings are my comments:

1) According to your given information, it is NOT suggestive of hemorrhoid. It is basically associated with feeling of incomplete evacuation, hallmark symptom of Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS. It is related with individual's constipation.

2) Some basic investigation should be done like stool examination, Proctoscopy or colonoscopy, complete blood test, routine urine examination etc to confirm the diagnosis.

3) I suggest you to eat more fiber added food stuffs, drink more water, eat more vegetables, avoid mental stress by doing yoga or meditation.

Medicine includes Probiotics (like YOGURT etc), Ispaghula husk or Psyllium at bed time, RIFAXIMIN group of drug, low dose of anti-depressant. Kindly, procure your complete prescription from your doctor after clinical examination.

4) To resolve burning sensation, I suggest to use vaginal moisturizer cream or RepHresh pH gel. Wear only clean and cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Take sound sleep adequately.

Avoid chemical cosmetics, soaps or scented bath products around genital area. Practice protected sex with condom until the problem is completely resolved. Use water based lubricant only (like K-Y jelly).

Hope, I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Thank you so much!!
This was very helpful. I will look into seeing a GI doc.
I had another bowel movement tonight and I felt really strange afterward. Like an incomplete feeling. What is this?
I appreciate all of the advice thus far. I'm going to do as much as I can.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptom of IBS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again.

Feeling of incomplete evacuation is a typical symptom of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and you need to undergo proper clinical examination along with above mentioned investigations to confirm the diagnosis.

Kindly, consult with your Gastroenterolgist regarding this for proper treatment and complete prescription.

Wish your good health and take care. Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Answered by
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Pap smear

doctor1 MD

I had two daughters by ceasarian section, the last 15 years ago and in that area I feel swollen and pain. I am 52 years old and am going through...

doctor1 MD

Hi! I ve being having this yellowish vaginal discharge with a bad odor I had done a vaginal culture plus a pap smear both came out negative though...

doctor1 MD

My wife is a 51 yrs old she had heavy bleeding for 3 days and now ther is spotting for 2 days A transvaginal u/s was done it showed adnexae cyst on...

doctor1 MD

I ve been having lots of medical issues within the past year. I recently moved to a very cold place after having lived in Florida for about 15...

doctor1 MD

On 2014 i Had a TVS. Result was normal Pelvic utz. Fibroid is 21mm x 10 anterior subserosal. Is this cancerous? I’ll have it check after 3 years...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I’m a difficult case. I’m 53, unsure about menopause because I was bleeding daily for a few months. My regular gynecologist could not do a pap...

doctor1 MD

Hi I've had light bleeding for almost 2 weeks now it started as light pink then orangish red and it turned darker red but i only bleed in the early...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. S Patra
  • Q - Suggest treatment for termination of unwanted pregnancy

  • Q - What causes delay in periods?

  • Q - Is Amoxicillin safe to take during pregnancy?

  • Q - What causes heavy bleeding in post-menopausal period?

  • Q - Suggest safest ways to abort pregnancy

  • Q - Suggest ways to abort pregnancy

  • Q - Suggest ways to abort pregnancy

  • Q - Suggest treatment for Gestational Diabetes Mellitus

  • Q - What causes high triglycerides?

  • Q - How to confirm the rupture of hymen?