What causes pain and discomfort in the ear with drainage?
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
I am sorry to hear that you are having pain and discomfort in your ear with drainage. This sounds like you have a chronic infection in the ear and it maybe a cholesteatoma. This requires surgery because of the aggressive growth of the infection and tumor. I would recommend that you see your ENT specialist.
While waiting for surgery I would recommend that you try using a nasal decongestant that may help reduce the pressure in your ears. I recommend afrin nasal spray for 3 days or pseudoefedrine for 5-7 days. You should probably call your medical provider and ask for some pain medication like tramadol or hydrocodone.
I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Use the decongestant
The decongestant can help reduce the pressure in the ear and hence the pounding you hear. If that does not work then I recommend using white noise while sleeping. This is using a sound machine or a radio to distract the brain from listening to the pounding and listen to the music or white noise instead.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes ear pain
- What causes recurrance of pus drainage from ears
- What causes left ear pain
- What causes sudden ear pain
- What could cause pain and drainage in ear drum
- What is causing the pain behind ear
- What causes severe ear pain
- What causes red tint to the ear drainage
- What causes drainage in throat
- Ear pain due to glasses discomfort what is the cause