What causes pain and congestion in the ear after travelling by flight?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am suffering from my ear block following a flight journey. The inconvenience is continuing for nearly 2 weeks.. I went to see a doctor at my hometown XXXXXXX I took medicine as per doctor's advice. But till date so far no improvement. I need a second opinion. Please advice me accordingly.
Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
glue ear

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. After viewing your prescription and audiometry results, I am in the opinion that you might be having glue ear. It's a condition where in there is fluid accumulation in middle ear. Treatment is to give decongestant tablet twice daily for 5 days + steam Inhalation + decongestant nasal drops for nose. The doctor has not perceived this as per the prescription enclosed. But symptoms from 2 weeks may not improve with tablet. You might need surgical extraction of the fluid , procedure called as myringotomy and grommet insertion. Your audiometry report shows high frequency hearing loss also where in you may need hearing aid also after the surgery , if hearing loss perisits. .. All this you need to consult with the doctor , get clinical evaluation of middle ear , confirm the presence of glue , and get operated as early s possible. Emperically you can take antihistamines + decongestant tablet twice daily for 5 days. With ortrivin nasal drops for nose. Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 3 hours later
Madam, this is to inform you that when I position my head upside down I get relieved. My congestion disappears . But in normal position again congestion occurs. In sleeping position sidewise congestion disappears.
This may help you to diagnose more accurately.
Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes middle ear fluid will move in different position.

Detailed Answer:
Yes. You are right.
Middle ear fluid or glue will move according to change of position. Your description of blockage it self suggest middle ear effusion. Myringotomy with grommet is the answer for it.

Please to help you in future. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj