What causes pain and burning sensation in the esophagus radiating to the arms?

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My Mom is experiencing pain like heartburn and burning of the esophagus that radiates to the arms every night in the early evening and usually lasts between 30 min to an hour. She breaks out into a sweat and says it is really bad debilitating pain. Could this be GERD or problems with her heart?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be both, further examinations are needed to rule ou heart problems

Detailed Answer:
Hello There!
Thank you for asking Health Care Magic.
I have gone through your question and i understand your concern.

Heartburn is a typical symptom of GERD.

The pain that radiates to the arms,besides from GERD could be something that may indicate heart problem .
In her age and with GERD symptoms sometimes it is difficult to put a right diagnosis only from what you describe, blood test and an ECG are needed.

I would suggest to contact your local doctor/hospital for a further evaluation.

Hope the answer is helpfull.
Let me know if you have any further clariffications.I will be happy to help.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana