What causes pain and burning sensation in arm after a blood test?
Nerve conduction study needed.
Hello and thanks for using HCM.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
If there is pain and arm feels like on fire, but no swelling and redness of the affected arm, most likely these symptoms are related to nerve damage/compression.
If there is redness and swelling vascular damage/thrombosis should be considered too.
If you don't notice any forearm and/or hand muscles weakness, probably a sensory berve is damaged.
Lump under skin probably is from damaged vein during blood drawn.
There is need to get a nerve conduction study and EMG/ENG of the affected arm to confirm nerve damage and the degree of the damage.
Treatment is related to the degree of damage and drugs such Gabapentin, Pregabalin may be used to improve symptoms.
These issues should be discussed with your treating Doctor.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Apply alcohol compresses.
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.
Since there is tenderness, most likely there is a vascular ( venous ) damage than a nerve damage.
However, nerves adjacent to tender/ swelled area can be compressed as well and throbbing could be a symptom too.
Antibiotics can be used if infection is confirmed ( fever ).
Local application of alcohol compresses for a couple of days should help improve your symptoms.
Use of ibuprofen also could be more beneficial than aspirin.
Hope I helped you.
Only tests can confirm the damage/diagnosis.
Vein inflammation could result in pain if there is a local infection going on, or irritant substance(s) were injected.
Since there is no motor skills affected and no numbness, nerve injury is less possible, but still cannot be excluded.
The only way to evaluate this is by tests such nerves conduction study.
Hope I helped you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of chest pain and arm pain
- What is the cause of getting pain in arms
- What causes pain and numbness in arm after drinking beer
- What is the cause and treatment for painful arm
- What could cause shooting pain in upper arm after workout
- What causes upper arm pain
- What causes redness and pain in arm
- What can cause a prolonged infection in blood tests
- What causes under arm pain after breast enhancement
- Abdominal pain sweating burning sensation in arms dizziness diarrhea causes
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?