What causes pain and bleeding in gums?

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Dental Health
Question: sir over the past 15 days i have been having pain in gums bleeding during brushing also i cant brush my teeth properly as it hurts that is they have become more sensitive also my gums are going back as i think teeth look longer whenever i drink cold water gums become extrasensitive but after that they are normal i started using listerine but now i have very bad dry mouth so i was adviced to stop using listerine as it causes dryness of mouth kindly advice me ABOUT THIS SENSITIVITY AND DRY MOUTH AS I CANT OPEN MY MOUTH ALSO PROPERLY
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should use desensitizing toothpaste & scaling

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

You are suffering from periodontitis which has occured due to deposition of debris & has led to receding gums.
This receding gums has led to exposure of dentin leading to sensitivity & this can be cured by using desensitizing tooth paste containing pottasium nitrate.
Regarding bleeding gums you should go for deep scaling because calculus deposition leads to swollen & bleeding gums. Hence go for deep subgingival scaling followed by gum massage with gum tone gel.
If you are experiencing dry mouth with listerine then avoid using it & drink plenty of water.
Consult your dentist for further treatment plan.

Hope I answered your query

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad